Presser Points: Vikings Build on Familiarity without Fresh Packers Tape

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
cwng4b9xqy0z6kcuaxb6

EAGAN, Minn. – There's zero preseason film for opponents to study of one another heading into Week 1, but there's plenty of familiarity between the Vikings and Packers.

The division rivals are set to open the 2020 regular season at U.S. Bank Stadium at noon (CT) Sunday.

In a situation where the COVID-19 pandemic forced the cancelation of preseason games, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer was asked Wednesday if it's advantageous to play a team he preps for at least twice every season.

"I do think it helps a little bit. You get to know those guys … I just wish they weren't quite as good as they are. They're a really good football team," Zimmer told Twin Cities media members. "They know us pretty well, and we know them pretty well. Obviously, there will be new wrinkles on both teams. There will be new players that we haven't been able to see on tape, other than college tape, so that part will be a little bit new as well. But, yeah, it's better than playing someone you don't really know very well, I guess."

Zimmer said they "try to practice everything" leading up to the regular season kickoff in hopes of anticipating what Green Bay will throw at them.

He noted that, even in a typical year that includes a preseason, teams often don't expend their fresh ideas during exhibition games.

"But the difference is not seeing some of the players that they've added," Zimmer reiterated. "So some of the personnel things will be different. It's going to be a game of adjustments like it always is, but probably a little bit more so this week."