Presser Points: Zimmer's Message to Team After 0-2 Start

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
k26ptmm0zk0jo9s5jdtr

EAGAN, Minn. – Through two games, Vikings miscues have shown up in all three phases, and in all four quarters.

And as a result, Minnesota is one of 11 teams across the league that has started in an 0-2 hole. (There are also 11 teams at 2-0, while 10 teams are an even 1-1).

The Titans, who come to town for a Week 3 matchup on Sunday, are 2-0. Tennessee has won both games by a combined five points.

As Week 3 looms, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer was asked if he feels like his team's back is already up against the wall so early into the season.

"Yeah, all the time our backs are against the wall. Every week, it's like that," Zimmer said. "Unfortunately, we have not played well enough to win.

"What we have to do is get back to being ourselves, doing the things that we do good, eliminate the mistakes we're making," Zimmer said. "You know, the second quarter has been awful for us the last two weeks, the last five minutes of the second quarters, basically.

"My message to them," Zimmer added, "has been, 'Before we start winning, we have to stop losing.' Right now, we're losing because of the mistakes we're making."

The Vikings have a minus-31 point differential in second quarters, creating situations in which the team must play from behind in the second half. Minnesota also ranks last in the league with an average time of possession of just 20 minutes and 10 seconds.

Here are four other topics Zimmer discussed Wednesday:

1. Remembering Gale Sayers

Zimmer opened his press conference by expressing condolences to the family of Gale Sayers, the Hall of Fame running back who passed away Wednesday.

He also offered a personal anecdote on Sayers, who starred for the Bears from 1965 to 1971.

"I was sorry to hear about the passing of Gale Sayers," said Zimmer, an Illinois native. "When I was 11, I was fortunate enough to go to his house and play pool with him, my dad and one of my dad's players. He was a great man, and I'm sure everyone is going to miss him."

Zimmer couldn't remember who was victorious at pool, but noted he did get Sayers' autograph on a football.

Sayers played in just 68 career games due to injuries, but was a five-time All-Pro who averaged exactly 5.0 yards per carry in his career. He twice led the league in rushing, finishing with 991 carries for 4,956 yards and 38 scores.

"I watched him a lot," Zimmer said. "He was so elusive the way he could run the football, the way he could hit the seams and accelerate through. It just seemed like he was always making big plays."

Sayers was just 34 years old when he was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977. He died at age 77.