Presser Points: Zimmer Describes Vikings Adaptations to Unique Week

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
zwckblnierreott9b3wl

3. Evaluation of the youngsters

Not only does Zimmer have more young players to evaluate on defense due to turnover on that side of the ball this offseason, but he also is doing so without the audition tape of preseason games.

He called it "always a work in progress" to be assessing the less-experienced players and finding out exactly what they can do when called upon.

"I think we're learning a lot more about what these guys are and who they are," Zimmer said. "I've got a thing on my phone that pops up, 'How do we win with this team?' I have to remember that last year's team isn't this year's team, and these guys can do different things than what we had a year ago.

"And then you have to figure in the injuries, 'This guy has missed two games. This guy has missed one game. OK, what do these new guys have to do?' " he continued. "I do think it's kind of an ongoing process of trying to learn about, 'The next player that steps in, how can we determine his role and how he can help us?' "

Perhaps no Vikings position group has had to learn – and be evaluated – quite as quickly this season as the cornerbacks.

With the departure of Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander after last season, Minnesota is relying on a combination of rookies and young corners without many starts on their résumé. And on top of that, they've already dealt with injuries to Mike Hughes, Kris Boyd and third-round pick Cam Dantzler.

In past years, Minnesota's depth at the cornerback spot has allowed Zimmer to more slowly bring along the newbies. But he isn't afforded that luxury this season.

"Some guys have to get thrown in by fire because they're the best ones at the time, and some other ones have a veteran guy in front of them. Our process-wise this year is we have young guys, so they've got to get in there," Zimmer explained. "At the end of the day, it's going to be better for them because they're learning every week. These guys, the first time you go out and play, it's against [Packers quarterback] Aaron Rodgers, and it's your first taste of NFL football.

"They're going to continue to get better. They're showing signs of getting better all of the time," he added. "Unfortunately, today was virtual, so they didn't show much today, but tomorrow, and as the season goes on, they'll keep progressing."

4. Confidence in COVID protocols

Despite the added stressors this week, Zimmer expressed gratitude for those around him helping everything continue running relatively smoothly.

He said Vikings Vice President of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Eric Sugarman, who also is serving as the team's Infection Control Officer, has done "an outstanding job," along with General Manager Rick Spielman, of making sure things are done the right way.

"All the people in our building," Zimmer added. "This happened, unfortunately to us, but not because of us. But it is what it is, and we have to deal with it. I think moving forward … they told us all along there was going to be positive tests and so on and so forth as we go throughout the season. But for us to be able to get through — hopefully we get through this week — but get through this week and play the game, I think it kind of shows we can get through it, yeah."