Presser Points: Zimmer Gives Early Evals on Darrisaw, Mond, Other Vikings Draft Picks

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
fouebuy9qrty9hdbftac

EAGAN, Minn. – It's a limited sample size, to be sure, but Head Coach Mike Zimmer has appreciated what he's seen from the team's 2021 draft class throughout the first two days of Vikings rookie minicamp.

Zimmer spoke to Twin Cities media members prior to Saturday afternoon's practice and fielded questions about a number of Minnesota's newest members.

This weekend has provided Zimmer the opportunity to see first-round selection Christian Darrisaw on-field rather than just studying tape of the former Virginia Tech tackle.

"Christian's a very good athlete, really good feet, good size. So far he's done a really nice job with the technique of things; so it's so far, so good," Zimmer said during his videoconference. "We've really seen him in two walk-throughs and one practice, so we'll get to know these guys a lot better as we move forward."

After the Vikings snagged Darrisaw in Round 1, they waited patiently for their next pick, Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond, whom they snagged at No. 66 overall.

What is Zimmer most looking for out of Mond in these first days of practice?

"I think the biggest thing for him right now is learning the process of the plays, getting in the huddle and out of the huddle, calling the different plays and different checks that we have," Zimmer said. "I want him to be himself. We brought him in here as a talented, athletic quarterback, and I just want him to be himself.

"But the things he can learn from Kirk [Cousins] are the way that he handles the games, the way that he goes about his business in the classroom and on the field, how to work," he added.

Here are four other topics Zimmer covered during his session with media: