Presser Points: Zimmer on Hunter's Status, Replacing Reiff & the 17th Game

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
hwkacv6rd5filjimhvxw

The highlights of the email including prompting each team to have the necessary COVID supplies, and organizations may be permitted to relax restrictions if enough coaches, players or other staff members get vaccinated.

4. Indifference about the 17th game

The big league-wide news announced this week was that the NFL will officially expand to 17 games … beginning with the 2021 season.

For the Vikings, that means a road trip to Los Angeles to play the Chargers for the extra game.

Zimmer approached the situation with humor, as well as some indifference.

"Well, I was wondering if the coaches were going to get paid more now, too, but I guess that's out," Zimmer quipped in reference to players getting a larger revenue share. "You know, I really haven't thought about it, to be honest with you. I know we're going to LA, I guess it is now, so it's another West Coast game.

"I don't know if they'll put it at the end of the year, the beginning of the year, the middle, or whatever," Zimmer added. "It's just something else they tell us to do, and we do it like good soldiers."

The AFC will get the extra home game in 2021, while the NFC will get it in 2022.

The preseason has also been shrunk to just three games going forward. Teams who get one fewer home game (like the Vikings in 2021), will be at home for two of the three preseason games.

Minnesota will then play an extra home game in 2022 but play one home preseason game and two on the road.