Quick Hits: Bears offense aims to start faster

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
jyljvl8o9mzo3qknqmsv

Tongue-in-cheek: Trubisky’s comment Wednesday that he was “trying to get some of these TVs in the building turned off” due to all the outside criticism that’s being directed at him and the Bears caused a major stir. But those who are familiar with the quarterback—including Nagy—are pretty sure that Trubisky wasn’t being 100 percent serious.

“Just me knowing him and knowing how he is, I’m assuming there’s a little tongue-in-cheek there with how he said it,” Nagy said.

Trubisky was serious, however, when he said this about the critics: “You’ve got too many people talking on TV about us and what they think about us—what we should do, what we are and what we’re not—but they don’t really know who we are. Or what we’re capable of as people. Or what we’re going through.”

Cold feet: Having spent his entire life in Florida prior to joining the Bears this year, Eddy Piñeiro will have to get accustomed to kicking in cold weather.

The high temperature in Chicago Sunday when the Bears host the Lions at Soldier Field is forecast to be 41 degrees.

“[The ball] is not going to fly as far,” said special-teams coordinator Chris Tabor. “It’ll feel different on his foot. We went down to the stadium [Wednesday] and kicked and he did real well and it was windy down there, but obviously not as cold as it is [Thursday].

“He’ll kick [Friday]. It’s supposed to be pretty frigid [Friday]. It’s just something he’s going to have to go through. I think it’s all part of the learning process with him; another season and another obstacle for him. He just needs to tackle it.”

In the trenches: Nagy declined to confirm an internet report Wednesday that the Bears were planning to reverse a switch they made during the offseason when they flipflopped Cody Whitehair to left guard and James Daniels to center.

“With all due respect, that’s one thing I’m not going to get into game strategy-wise,” Nagy said. “But we’re going to look at a lot of different things. We’re always looking for solutions, so I’ll leave it as that.”