Quick Hits: Fry drills 43-yard field goal in Bears’ loss

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
y1fvev0lmasmmml9qjpn

Good and bad: Bunting had an up-and-down game, catching three passes for a game-high 77 yards while also being penalized twice for a false start and holding.

“Have a lot to clean up, but first game, I was happy I got a good opportunity and I had some fun,” Bunting said. “You can’t get too high, you can’t get too low. It certainly was not a perfect game. I made a fair amount of mistakes. I’ll learn from those and move forward.”

Bunting is an intriguing prospect, a 6-7, 255-pounder from Hinsdale who played at Cal last year as a graduate student after spending his previous four years at Michigan.

“He's a big kid,” Nagy said. “He's super smart. He's really smart. He has big hands. A lot of times when people have big hands, they're a natural catcher. He's a natural pass catcher.

“This is just a really good opportunity for him to see how much can he digest in this playbook, and when the plays come to him and he gets a chance to make a play, does he make it? He did a good job with that. He executed everything we asked him to do and it was productive for him.”

Sitting out: Bears players who were held out of Thursday night’s preseason opener included receivers Allen Robinson II, Taylor Gabriel, Cordarrelle Patterson and Riley Ridley; running back Tarik Cohen; guard Kyle Long; tight ends Trey Burton and Adam Shaheen; defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, outside linebackers Khalil Mack, Leonard Floyd and Aaron Lynch; linebacker Danny Trevathan; cornerbacks Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara and Buster Skrine; and safety Eddie Jackson.

Cornerback Kevin Toliver II also did not play due to illness.