Quick hits: Nagy on running backs in pads, injury to Ridley

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
brx8omqzavql9glkmgaj

Group effort: Cohen, Montgomery and Davis all excel as ballcarriers and receivers, which should keep the Bears offense unpredictable. All three are expected to contribute, though their exact roles remain undefined.

“I feel like the message I'm going to try to spread is, ‘Definitely make your impact when you’re on the field,’” Cohen said.

“You might not be on the field to start the game. I might not be on the field to start the game. I might not be on the field for a critical third down, but when I'm in the game I’m going to make my presence felt, and if all of the guys in that room feel the same way, then we have a wonderful room.”

Injury update: Nagy revealed that rookie receiver Riley Ridley, a fourth-round pick from Georgia, exited Friday’s practice with a hamstring issue.

“I think you’ll see unfortunately as you go through these camps you have those,” Nagy said. “Luckily, we have an unbelievable training staff and Dre (head trainer Andre Tucker) and them will do a great job of getting him back.”

In other injury news, Nagy is hopeful that safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who started training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list with a sprained knee, will be able to practice in the near future.

“I really don’t have an exact [timetable],” Nagy said. “I think he’s close, but I don’t have anything specific.”

Grade A effort: Nagy was pleased with how his players performed during the Bears’ annual conditioning test Friday morning.

“They aced it,” Nagy said. “They did really well; matter of fact I cut it short because they were doing so well.”

When the Bears held a “Monday Funday” at Halas Hall in May—they were split into 10 11-man teams and competed in an obstacle course and dodgeball tournament—one squad won the chance to skip one rep in Friday’s conditioning test.

“That was incorporated in there,” Nagy said. “They laughed at me when I brought it up months ago, [but] man did it feel good for them today.”