Rashan Gary 'not done' making strides in young, promising career

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
l8tsjcs0qgigkehub1nm

GREEN BAY – It's only June, but there's already genuine excitement over what's in store for Packers outside linebacker Rashan Gary in his third NFL season.

Position mate Za'Darius Smith sees "a big year" on the horizon, and Head Coach Matt LaFleur referred to Gary becoming "a big-time player" in 2021.

As the Packers' three-day mandatory minicamp wrapped up Thursday, the defense enjoyed a strong finish, and the swagger in Gary's step to help keep his unit juiced and motivated was noticeable.

The comments from others weren't just about how Gary has looked this offseason, though. While the 2019 first-round draft pick has done his thing – continuing to work incessantly on his own with no plans to take much of a break prior to training camp – he also has plenty to build on from the end of 2020.

Gary recorded 2½ of his five regular-season sacks in the month of December, and then added another 1½ sacks in the playoff win over the Rams. The four sacks over a six-game span represent the best stretch of his young career to date … "to date" being the operative phrase.

"I'm not done," Gary said following Thursday's practice. "While I did make a lot of jumps, I'm still hungry and there's still room to improve.

"(I'm) just keeping everything full throttle from last year, not trying to slow down – not one bit. I've still got a lot of chipping away to do before the season comes. I'm happy to get back in my lab, get back in the cave and work."