Revamped outside linebacker group gives Packers’ defense different look

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bnnsfaah7axd6zdt8tef

Reggie Gilbert and Kendall Donnerson are other experienced returnees at the position who will be looking to establish their place in the pecking order, too.

But it’s clear there’s a whole new hierarchy with Clay Matthews and Nick Perry gone, and with an emphasis on being able to line up in different spots across the defensive front to keep the opposing offenses guessing who’s going to be where on any given snap.

That may be the part of Pettine’s approach that fires up the group the most. He tried it a year ago, as did his predecessor Dom Capers, but it was questionable whether the personnel meshed with the change-ups. There’s more confidence it does now.

“At Michigan I moved around, but here, it’s different,” Gary said. “Now I get to stand up and go rush, or put my hand in the ground. But that’s enjoyable, that’s what I wanted to do. So this defense fits me well.”

As much as Mike Smith raved about Gary’s size-speed profile and was beyond excited to acquire him in the draft, rushing from a two-point stance is a change. Which is why it makes sense Gary’s locker is right between the Smiths, who went through similar transitions earlier in their careers.

“I feel like it’s a great thing for the coaches to put him right there beside us,” Za’Darius Smith said. “He’s a guy they’re trying to get comfortable with a two-point stance. For the past four years, we’ve been doing that. Sometimes he’ll come in here frustrated a little bit but we can talk to him. ‘Hey, man, I didn’t do it, either, but I had to learn it.’ The little things that he’s got going on, we’ve been through it.”

If there’s an emerging leader in the group, it’s probably Za’Darius. He comes from the most accomplished unit in Baltimore, a team that’s been defined over the years by its defense.

That carries with it a different mentality, and Smith wants to bring that along with what he learned from defensive leaders with the Ravens like Terrell Suggs, C.J. Mosley and Eric Weddle to instill a similar mentality in Green Bay.