Riley Reiff on Vikings Preparations: 'Every Minute's Crucial'

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ihtdggwdv1t7chujshcz

EAGAN, Minn. — Riley Reiff is a grizzled veteran in the NFL, and not just because of the wooly beard he sports along the offensive line.

The starting left tackle also has 112 career starts between his time in Minnesota and Detroit, which makes him the most experienced lineman the Vikings have on either side of the line.

The other offensive linemen on Minnesota's roster have 129 combined career starts, and that's split up between seven players. A handful of linemen — five of them — have never played an NFL snap.

So yes, as Reiff enters his ninth season after being a first-round pick back in 2012, it's safe to say he's looked at as a leader along the line.

And with such a unique offseason in the books, it's a role that Reiff — a team captain in his first three seasons in Purple — is embracing even more.

"Obviously being the oldest guy, I think they kind of put that in there, but I'm an open book," Reiff said Monday in a rare chat with the Twin Cities media. "If anybody has a question to me, I welcome it, actually.

"I don't have everything figured out, either. There's a lot of stuff that still, even going into Year 9, where I'm asking questions," Reiff added. "These young guys, I hope they reach out to me and ask me about this or that."

And to be clear, Reiff will take on that responsibility from his usual left tackle spot. Vikings Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak said as much last week, and Reiff emphasized again Monday there wasn't much chatter about him potentially moving to guard.

"I didn't hear anything about that," Reiff said. "Heck, I'll play whatever as long as it helps the team."