Robert Tonyan makes a statement with three-TD performance

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
iaslcfet3b4dnzpusnyt

Tonyan, who signed to Green Bay's practice squad near the end of the 2017 season, has been on a steady incline. After playing behind Lewis and Jimmy Graham the past two years, Tonyan has stepped into a starting role this year.

In only four games, he's already established new single-season career highs with 13 catches for 173 yards and five touchdowns, which is currently tied for the most in the NFL with Tampa Bay receiver Mike Evans.

Tonyan also is the only NFL tight end to catch a touchdown in three consecutive games this year and the first to accomplish that feat for the Packers since Jermichael Finley in 2011-12.

Tonyan's production has been welcomed, especially with the injuries the Packers have been dealing with at his position. Lewis sat out Monday night with a knee injury, snapping a streak of 51 consecutive regular-season games played for the 15-year veteran.

Rookie third-round pick Josiah Deguara returned after missing two games with an ankle injury, but exited late in the fourth quarter with a knee injury.

"Robert and I have had a good connection since he got here," Rodgers said. "I just appreciate his work ethic, his approach. … I think he's got a really good feel for the passing game. He's done a better job blocking. He's just a solid all-around player, got great hands. Just the timing tonight was really good."