Sacco Sez: John Elway's two biggest drafts

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
za2qlgsimfkne2s2i8um

But on draft day I watched the Baltimore Colts draft Elway, and I was there as Mr. Kaiser calmly called Colts owner Bob Irsay and have a very respectful conversation with him.

Every team was making its pitch, but all others thought it appropriate to call either Baltimore general manager Ernie Accorsi or head coach Frank Kush.

However, Irsay had decided to handle this one himself, and Kaiser had held Irsay in high regard as a colleague. He always called him Mr. Irsay, and Irsay referred to our owner as "that nice Kaiser boy."

After the first conversation Mr. Kaiser told me, "Jim, we are dealing on Elway. We are halfway there. We have halfway to go. Make sure you are ready."

He did not have to tell me twice.

When he went into the draft room and told the coaches the same, I saw them chuckle to themselves as he left the room.

But I never chuckled. I got ready.

One phone call led to another, and behind the scenes, the stories got better and better, and a week later John Elway was a Bronco.

His life, and the path of the team and the city, were forever changed.

The records are all well known, but in addition, it can be argued that Denver's reputation is to some degree measured by the Broncos, by orange and blue, and by what John Elway has done here, after that incredible trade by late owner Edgar Kaiser in 1983.

So there are uniquely difficult circumstances that pose challenges in this year's draft.

Living up to legend can be so hard.

But is it easier, or harder, when you actually are the legend?

Only he knows how he feels about that, but I do know that John Elway is up to the task.