Scouting Fellowship Gives Phil Loadholt Inside Look at Vikings Front-Office

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pnsdoxn0yzzyrbwh7ucb

In part of his preparation for starting 89 regular-season games and three playoff games for Minnesota from 2009 through 2014, Loadholt watched plenty of film to learn about the defensive players he was about to face. He is “cranking away” on film now, but his focal point has changed.

“There’s a difference because when I was watching as a player, I’m getting ready to go against a guy. That was more of [looking at] technique and things like that,” Loadholt said. “Here, I’m looking at body types and the way people fit in schemes and how people help this team. It’s a lot different. I’m looking at the big picture.”

Loadholt also had a session on the salary cap this week with Executive Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

“There are a lot of things that I didn’t know that go on, so it’s been really good for me,” Loadholt said.

Spielman said the Vikings have two fellowships each year and vet “very thoroughly.” He said Loadholt’s expressed interest in participating, his career on the field and “what he was for this football team as a leader” made Loadholt a great candidate.

“Every year, we try to bring in two, especially if they’re former players here, to come in and get exposure to the front-office side of the business,” Spielman said. “A couple of weeks from now, the other one we’re working on, if it works out with his schedule, Jasper Brinkley will do the same program, as well.”

Brinkley was a draft classmate of Loadholt’s in 2009. He played in 94 games (42 starts) for Minnesota (2009-12, 2014), Arizona (2013) and the New York Giants (2015).