Six things to know from Vic Fangio at the NFL Coaches Breakfast

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
jrodaby70xszvd0itgpj

HE ADVISES YOU TO NOT GET TOO FOCUSED ON WHICH PROSPECTS THE BRONCOS BRING IN FOR PRE-DRAFT VISITS

Between now and the NFL Draft, each team can bring up to 30 players to their headquarters for in-person visits. With the reports of each visit, pundits and fans attempt to diagnose the intent of the visit, to determine whether it's a sign of legitimate interest or an attempt to deceive.

In this area, Fangio advises caution.

"I wouldn't get too enamored with who we're bringing in or who the other 31 teams are bringing in," he said. "It could mean something; it might not mean something. I think guys that try and read the tea leaves on the draft drive themselves crazy."

But what does matter is what Fangio and the Broncos can gain from spending time with each prospect.

“I think it helps," Fangio said. "For every guy, it's a little bit different. Some guys you're bringing in just to get a little bit of a better feel for them. Some guys you're bringing in you feel like you have a lot of questions that you want to ask and get answered. It's a different degree."

But then again ...

"Some of those guys you're bringing in, you're just bringing in as a smoke screen," he said.

HE SEES DEFENSIVE LINEMEN AS 'INTERCHANGEABLE'

In response to a question about Shelby Harris -- on whom the Broncos issued a restricted free-agent tender at the second-round level -- Fangio shared his hopes that Harris could play any position on the defensive line.

“I think he can play anywhere along the defensive line for us hopefully,” Fangio said.

Then Fangio added that the versatility he desires carries over to all defensive linemen.

“I think D-linemen are interchangeable. I think the days of a nose tackle and an end — to me, they're all [linemen]," Fangio said. They play from lining up on this tackle all the way to that tackle and anywhere in between. They all have to react to the same type of blocking schemes and the same type of blocks to be able to pass rush.

"To me, they're defensive linemen. Period. End of story."