Something to Be Thankful For: The Story of Kyle Juszczyk's Annual Teamsgiving

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
wyaedh4b9cwcqgimerwb

Juszczyk is the elder statesman among the 49ers second-ranked rushing offense - a group that includes Mostert, Breida, Jeff Wilson Jr. and newcomer Tevin Coleman. At 28 and entering his seventh NFL season and third in San Francisco, Juszczyk’s familiarity with Shanahan’s offense has continued to mature. But his team-first mentality is what stands out among the 49ers young running backs.

“We have a really close team. Everybody works their tails off and everyone is so happy for the next guy. There’s nobody in there that has that selfish outtake of ‘it’s all about me. Give me the ball. Me, me, me.’ It’s so not that at all. Anytime Matt Breida has a great run in film, Tevin Coleman is one of the first guys to speak up and say, ‘Nice run bro. Good cut.’ Raheem has a good play, Jet is right there to say, ‘Great job.’ Nobody gets angry about other guys getting more love than the other one. Everyone really bounces off each other well. Everybody is genuinely happy for the next guy. We all want to use other people’s success as motivation for ourselves to do better.”

The Thanksgiving tradition spread itself to more holidays and a growing guest list as San Francisco continues to mold its roster. Due to its success, Juszczyk now holds Cinco de Mayo gatherings each year for players in town during San Francisco’s offseason workout program. Juszczyk, who got married this past July, looks forward to balancing marriage, football and taking a leading role in fostering the culture Lynch and Shanahan valued when signing him, while still finding the time to host team bonding opportunities - just as long as the dessert is off the menu.