Steve Jordan Surprised by Vikings Ring of Honor Selection

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
t6bg5f93zwo4xtibnsmf

Current players and coaches applauded as Jordan paused for a moment to collect his thoughts after a rare lost-for-words moment.

Jordan explained his approach to make the team as a rookie back in 1982. It was a disciplined, focused process that helped him positively impact the Vikings and the NFL as a player for 13 seasons and as an alum.

“My father was a teacher in high school and college and a coach earlier in his career,” Jordan said. “I looked up to my dad. One of the things he told me was to be prepared, and being prepared doesn’t mean show up the day before the test.”

Jordan didn’t have the benefit of the combine or a college all-star game to showcase his talents. He did have the work ethic to come into camp in great physical shape and confidence in his ability to run and catch passes.

Then came Jordan’s welcome-to-the-NFL moment.

“The first time I had to line up against Matt Blair, an All-Pro outside linebacker, blocking wasn’t my forte,” Jordan said. “I was more of a receiving tight end coming out of college. I went to do a 1-on-1 drill, I was in a 3-point stance, and the next thing I know, I was looking up at the sky. Matt Blair ran right through me like a revolving door.”

Jordan was prepared enough to know that Bud Grant didn’t like mental errors and rarely retained rookies.

“I wanted to make sure that I didn’t get myself pushed out of training camp,” Jordan said. “There’s certain things you can control and certain things you cannot control. You can’t control the other person, like a Matt Blair, who was 6-foot-5 and 250. I couldn’t control his level of talent. One of the easiest ways to get bounced out of camp was by mental errors. I could control mental errors. There were some guys that would go out, but I went back in my room, studying and making sure I did not make the mental errors that were going to get me bounced out of camp. That same mentality applies during the season because it only takes one game to miss an opportunity that is going to cost you.”

Recently retired Vikings Legend Scott Studwell, a teammate of Jordan’s from 1982-90 and fellow Ring of Honor member, came back into the office for the announcement.

Studwell, current tight ends Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith, Jr., Warren, Zimmer and General Manager Rick Spielman were among those congratulating Jordan after he spoke to the team.

Jordan’s name is scheduled to join 24 other Vikings Legends whose names encircle the upper level of U.S. Bank Stadium on Oct. 24 when Minnesota hosts Washington on Thursday Night Football.

Fittingly, Jordan’s single-game high for receiving yardage (179 on six receptions) occurred at Washington on Nov. 2, 1986, when Tommy Kramer set a franchise record of 490 yards through the air. Jordan earned his first of six consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl after that season.