The Day After: Christian McCaffrey challenging himself to return quickly

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
zvcil2gr0b1cc0kzkng0

"The last thing I want this team to do is focus on the negative," McCaffrey said.

"When you're 0-2, it's not over, and that's very important to understand. When you start hearing the noise, good or bad, it starts to take you off the path. And I think it's very important to stay with what you know in times of adversity."

With McCaffrey out, Mike Davis will take over as the Panthers' starting running back. Rhule called Davis a capable starter who made some great receptions against the Buccaneers.

"He was ready when his number was called, and he'll play well in Christian's absence," Rhule said.

A fourth-round pick of the 49ers in the 2015 draft, Davis is just two seasons removed from totaling 728 scrimmage yards with the Seahawks.

"He's going to do great, I already know it," McCaffrey said. "He's been a successful player in the NFL, and I don't think anything's going to change."

Still, losing McCaffrey's production is a setback for a young team that's still trying to find its footing. So the hope is that while Monday feels like a downer of a day, both the Panthers and McCaffrey will grow from these next few weeks.

"I don't believe in coincidences. I think everything happens for a reason, and I think everything is perspective and attitude," McCaffrey said. "When you look at it, you can win, or you learn, and right now is a learning experience for me."