The Day After: Offensive line key in pass protection, dominant drives

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
ahea5uqltkc0ylhuc6ix

MIKE DAVIS IS 'ASTOUNDING'

Davis' career-best 149 scrimmage yards were instrumental in Sunday's win. While head coach Matt Rhule hasn't necessarily been surprised by Davis' performances the past three weeks, he didn't know how good Davis would be at running through contact.

"The physical nature of trying to punish defenders, carrying piles for an extra yard, extra two yards, those are the things that you don't notice in the moment, but they add up over time," Rhule said. "Just because of the way we have to practice, I don't know that I ever saw that. But I'm seeing it now."

Bridgewater noted Monday that he'd mainly heard that Davis was a power back. But during training camp, Bridgewater chatted with Davis and realized how much more he could do.

"(H)e just used to tell me, 'Man, when I was in Seattle, I was the guy on the field during two-minute situations, coming out of the backfield, catching the ball, things like that,'" Bridgewater said. "And then it clicked because you watch him in one-on-ones against linebackers in training camp, he's running his routes. You watch him run the football, he's aggressive, he's angry.

"He's added a huge spark to this offense. He's matching that tough mentality that we've talked about, and he's putting it on display."

That's added up to some particularly strong play during Carolina's three-game winning streak.

"The way that Mike Davis is running the ball is astounding, it's crazy," Miller said. "He literally runs like he's pissed off, and that's what he said. And that's what you see on film."