Timeout with Ifeadi Odenigbo

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
lvzfkultfs4gcdhtiudc

Q: Where are you going to put that one?

A: “I’m not sure yet. But I know I’m going to get one of those glass cases for it, just because it was so special. My first-ever touchdown. It was pretty memorable.”

Q: You had a funny draft day story, right?

A: “Yeah (laughs). I was watching [Day 3 of] the draft and was just becoming angry at the guys being picked because I thought I was better than them. I got so mad that I just left the house. My mom asked where I was going and I just said, ‘Out for a drive. I just have to drive somewhere.’ And then the Vikings called.”

Q: Where were you when you got the call?

A: “In my friend’s car. Sitting in bad Chicago traffic. But we went out to eat after, so that made it all better.”

Q: Let’s talk about the sword celebration you do … what’s the origin behind that?

A: “Well, George Martin, [who wrote the Game of Thrones books], went to Northwestern. Everyone there was all about the show. I was really into the show in college, so my redshirt freshman year I said I wanted to do something to honor that. It was the night before we played Minnesota, and I said that if I got a sack, I was going to unsheathe a sword.”

Q: And then you got a sack?

A: “Yep. Next day, got a sack and then I did it. People were like, ‘Ifeadi!’ But I loved it.”

Q: Have you gotten any feedback on it?

A: “Not a ton. But I do kind of want to get a real sword now.”

Q: Your parents are from Nigeria … does your name mean anything special?

A: “My full name is Ifeadikachukwu. It means, ‘Nothing is greater than God.’ ”

Q: Do you have a favorite Nigerian food?

A: “Jollof rice. That’s where I get my superpowers from (laughs). If you talk to any Nigerian, they’ll say that jollof rice gets you right. It’s like red spices mixed in with white rice. It’s pretty delicious. There’s always a talk in Western Africa … you have Ghanaians and you have people from Nigeria … and the debate is whose jollof rice is better. Nigerians make the best jollof rice, hands down. Especially my mother. Having someone like my mom cook Nigerian food all the time when we were kids, it helps with the culture aspect.”