Training Camp Primer: How Might 1 Change on Line Affect Vikings Defense?

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vjnzsomvlwdw2nnpfglm

How might Stephen’s return up front affect the Vikings defense?

We’ll explore that topic in a moment, but here’s a synopsis on Stephen, who has started 34 of 67 games, totaling 167 tackles (88 solo), 3.0 sacks, four tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries.

Stephen has the least notoriety among the four projected starters, but Vikings coaches and teammates know the variety of impacts that Stephen has made within the defense and that they go beyond the stat sheets.

A calling card of Vikings defenses since 2014 under Head Coach Mike Zimmer and Defensive Coordinator George Edwards is every player carrying out his role with accountability so that the other 10 players can each do theirs.

Sometimes that means Stephen takes on a double team to free up a teammate. Other times, it involves him using his strength and technique to beat a blocker. He can clog the running lanes on an assist or make the solo stop.

Back in March when Stephen signed during free agency and Anthony Barr re-signed to stay in Minnesota, Zimmer noted that coaches refer to Stephen as “Big Fundamental.” There also have been occasions where his heart, hustle and a potentially underrated athleticism have made the difference.

“Because he did everything right, he worked hard, he helped in the running game, and he worked every single day on his craft of trying to rush the passer,” Zimmer said. “They’re both great people, and that’s kind of the type of players that we’re trying to get here. Great people, good players who want to learn and get better, be great people in the locker room and help each other get better. It’s really a great day for me to get these two guys back. They’ll always be Vikings, and they’ll always be ‘Zim guys.’ ”

Stephen, who also was an accomplished basketball player in high school, said he was previously unaware of garnering a nickname that matches the one for 15-time NBA All-Star Tim Duncan.

“The first time I heard it was after the media session,” Stephen said this spring. “I didn’t know the coaches called me that, so I was like, ‘Oh, it has to stick.’ It’s cool. I appreciate the opportunity here.”

The initial impact by Stephen was impressive and is illustrated in this video breakdown of 2014 preseason games by Vikings.com’s Mike Wobschall: