Tribute to Pat Bowlen showcases fans’ connection to the man who made it all possible

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
liswewoetjkcyesavlax

And on a difficult day, all the support they got from so many people made a big impact.

“It’s been very comforting,” said daughter Beth Bowlen Wallace. “It’s been an overwhelming time emotionally for all of us, but to see the fans and to see the players and the staff that have come through has brought great comfort because we realize, which we already did, it just solidifies [it] — how much my father meant to this community. It’s mirrored back to them how much this community meant to my father.”

It didn’t take until Tuesday for that to be evident, though. Many admirers visited Bowlen’s statue on the south side of the stadium since Friday to express their gratitude for his devotion, leadership and passion for their favorite team, often leaving flowers, photos, notes or other small items.

On Friday, someone left their tie — a Broncos-themed Looney Tunes design — that Bowlen had autographed at a chance meeting years earlier.

“I happened to be wearing this tie one day when I ran into Mr. B in a convenience store,” the accompanying note read. “We had a nice conversation and he graciously signed the tie stating[,] ‘I love Looney Tunes!’ A great man! Colorado and all of Broncos country are lucky to have known him!”

By Tuesday, that tie had been added to the tribute. The final display included a wall of family photographs and corkboards where fans could post their own messages to the family.

Pat Bowlen may be gone, but his connection to Broncos fans will endure — and the treasures that he made possible will continue to grow.