Trubisky hopes to show constant improvement

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
zwo1utfoebd7589nqytb

After a rookie season that "didn't go the way we wanted it to," according to Trubisky, the introduction of a new coaching staff and offense jump-started the young quarterback's development in 2018.

Last season marked a big step toward fulfilling the potential that made the North Carolina product the second pick in the 2017 draft. In addition to leading the Bears to the playoffs, Trubisky threw for 3,223 yards and 24 touchdowns, earning himself a Pro Bowl invitation.

"I know I haven't played my best football yet," said Trubisky. "That's kind of my mindset."

To make his big leap into an elite passer, Trubisky has outlined clear goals, which, outside of football, could apply to nearly any 24-year-old man: keeping his room clean and eating healthy.

On the field, Trubisky has an equally narrow focus: huddle efficiency. He would like to see the entire offense move with urgency in between plays, which would give him more time at the line of scrimmage to break down defenses.

The 2018 season saw Trubisky improve his completion percentage by over six points, taking him from the 28th most accurate passer to the 13th. Still, accuracy, and by extension ball security, will be one of the vital benchmarks by which he will judge himself in the coming weeks.

"We have our goals," said Trubisky, "and we're going to keep those to ourselves and work hard to make sure we chase after all of them."

Roster continuity will aid Trubisky this season. The Bears return all of his top five targets from last year.

Unlike last year, receiver Allen Robinson II has been healthy and working with his quarterback for the entire offseason. Robinson has liked what he's seen from Trubisky so far.

"For him," said Robinson of Trubisky, "all aspects of what he brings to the table, he's gotten better at."

Trubisky's status as a team leader has extended beyond the offense. He has earned the respect of star linebacker Khalil Mack, who praised his competitiveness and quiet diligence.

"He's a dog, man," said Mack. "That's what I want from my quarterback."