Trubisky misses practice due to shoulder injury

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
iyjv9f3c92rpg7e76xss

Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky missed practice Wednesday due to a right shoulder injury suffered during his only play in last Sunday's loss to the Saints.

The former starting quarterback entered the game in place of Nick Foles to run a read-option, which he kept for a 3-yard gain. However, his collision with Saints linebacker Alex Anzalone kept Trubisky from making a second appearance.

"He just got dinged up on that one play that we put him on," said Nagy, "and so he's currently rehabbing things and just working on it that way. It's unfortunate, and I know that he's bummed out."

Trubisky missed three games over the previous two seasons due to shoulder injuries.

"Overall, big picture-wise, it's unfortunate when any player gets hurt," said Nagy, "let alone him, when he's had a couple years of shoulder injuries. And so that part for him and for us is upsetting and frustrating. Disappointing is probably the better word."

Trubisky's reappearance as essentially a wildcat option came as the team looks to improve an offense that has struggled mightily since their Week 3 matchup against the Atlanta Falcons. Nagy said that Trubisky's positive attitude after losing the starting job was a factor in looking for other ways to get him involved.

"Mitch has been really, really good throughout this whole process," said Nagy. "I couldn't have asked for him to be any better. He's handled it like an absolute pro, and it doesn't surprise me one bit. At the same point in time, the position that we are in and that we've gone through to get to this point, we also know that using him in different areas and growing with a package with him can be good."

For the Trubisky package to be effective, it would likely need to be used several times a game, similar to how the Saints used Taysom Hill on Sunday. While Trubisky's injury dashed that plan, Nagy may be open to it in the future.

"I think that was a start for us right there," said Nagy. "Again, it's just unfortunate what happened on that play, but we're trying to do everything for him and for us as a team to use all of our weapons as much as we can."

With Trubisky potentially unavailable, long-time practice squad quarterback Tyler Bray may step into the backup quarterback role. Bray has been with Nagy for eight seasons after signing with the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent in 2013.

"You know how much I appreciate Tyler," said Nagy. "These are situations right now where, whenever we see what happens with Mitchell, you're able to have a guy like Tyler who has been in this offense a long time. And he's grown a lot."

Since leaving the University of Tennessee after his junior season, most of Bray's game experience has come during preseason games. Bray has only attempted one regular-season pass in his career. However, Nagy expressed confidence in his third-string quarterback.

"He hasn't had a lot of chances, per se, other than preseason," said Nagy. "If Tyler ends up being the backup, he's one play away — just like that. You guys talk about contingencies and strategies and all that. Those are all things you gotta look at. He's worked hard to get to this point. He's been extremely focused. And you never know."