Vikings Aim for Offensive Continuity Despite Coordinator Change

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gaj2p9lzbi0fb1zj7jzw

This means that Cousins will have his third offensive coordinator in as many seasons with the Vikings. It’s nothing new for the quarterback who was originally drafted by Washington in 2012 and became a starter there in 2015.

“It’ll be his fifth coordinator in five years, I think he told me yesterday, or at least voice in his ear on game day,” Zimmer said. “There’s nothing I can do about that, but I think it’s important not just for Kirk, but for the entire offense, to have the same system, the same calls and things like that so that when they come in here on day one, it’s not completely foreign to them.”

Cook proved to be a catalyst for offensive success, rushing for 1,135 yards and 13 scores while adding 519 yards on 53 receptions. On Saturday, however, the 49ers swarmed him on run plays and blanketed him on pass plays.

Minnesota returned receiving tandem Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, as well as tight end Kyle Rudolph and fullback C.J. Ham.

Diggs led the Vikings with a career-high 1,130 yards on 63 receptions. Thielen battled a pesky hamstring injury he suffered in Week 7 and played in 10 games. He finished with 418 yards on 30 catches. Rudolph helped pick up slack while Thielen was out and finished with 39 receptions for 367 yards. All three players tied for the team lead with six receiving touchdowns.

Thielen was asked Sunday, after the Stefanski news was publicized, about the upcoming change.

“It’s part of the NFL. Usually when you have a good offense, you’re probably going to have a new change, because [the coordinator] is probably going to get a head coaching job, especially in this league,” Thielen said. “It’s part of the deal. I think this is, I’ll be going on my sixth offensive coordinator in eight years. Like I said, it’s part of the deal, and you just do it like everything else you do – you take it one day at a time, you control what you can control, and whatever play’s called, you try to do it to the best of your ability.”