Vikings Continuity on Special Teams a 'Huge Plus' During Unique Offseason

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
wgm3w01eifeiklngkrgo

Fortunately for the Vikings, stability on special teams extends beyond kicker, punter and long snapper.

Maalouf specifically highlighted the leadership of core special teamers Ameer Abdullah, Kris Boyd, C.J. Ham and Eric Wilson.

"All of those guys are back," Maalouf said, "[so] our biggest thing right now is making sure we get these rookies caught up. I think that's probably the most important thing, understanding the system and expectations of what the guys last year created."

The carryover of veterans who have filled special teams roles is important in helping the young players understand – and embrace – their initial responsibilities on the team.

Maalouf uses Abdullah as an illustration for rookies, pointing out that he hadn't previously held a core role on special teams for Minnesota but last season was called upon as more than just a kickoff returner.

"I use him as an example of someone who really bought in to what we were trying to teach. For Ameer to be a running back but to also play what a typical defensive safety would play is really special," Maalouf explained. "And I think that opened up their eyes. Especially since we would review a lot of film from last year, and I'd point out certain guys that are contributing."

He added that rookies can see established starters like Eric Kendricks, Anthony Barr or Kyle Rudolph participating in special teams drills and understand expectations.

"The best thing you can really do is just kind of show that to them on the film that we're watching and recapping from last year," Maalouf said. "Harrison Smith on kickoff and all the guys that have contributed. Anthony Harris. When they see Anthony Harris was a [personal protector] last year, they're like, 'OK, that's a starter. I've got to figure that out.' It's been really good."