Vikings Daily Digest: What to Watch on 1st Day of Padded Practices

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nwtdybju2mvpudvgzifw

New for 2019 Verizon Vikings Training Camp, Vikings Daily Digest will deliver content directly from Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center with news of the day and a few recurring elements.

EAGAN, Minn. — Mike Zimmer hasn’t gone soft.

Sprinkles quickly turned to a heavier rain on Sunday morning at the team’s walk-through.

The Vikings head coach gave a short whistle and pointed to the building. The rest of the session was held inside Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center. Zimmer told media members that the team would have stayed in the rain if not for lightning in the area.

“We’re moving practice up an hour to give fans an opportunity to be able to watch practice,” Zimmer said. “It’s supposed to rain quite a bit today, so we’ll see how it unfolds. We had to come in this morning because of lightning, otherwise we would have gotten wet in walk-through.”

The full team has practiced for two days of Verizon Vikings Training Camp, which means the waiting period for padded practices, as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, is over.

The team has moved up practice an hour to 1 p.m. to try to fit in the session in front of fans on the outdoor fields rather than the closed Indoor Practice Facility.

So what does Zimmer want to see in the session?

It should come as no surprised that the opening battles between an overhauled offensive line and defensive line are near the top of the list.

Zimmer said he wants to see good pad level from players on both sides of the line of scrimmage because of the important role that leverage has in determining a play.

“I think the biggest thing is … that they’re not raising up coming out of their stances,” Zimmer said.

He also wants to see players “accelerate into the block” and “able to stay together on double teams.”

“You work on [things like that], but it’s a different deal when you get the pads on and are going against someone else with pads on,” Zimmer said. “We’ve got 1-on-1 pass rush today, but it’s probably not going to look very good just because they haven’t done it since the last season. That’s going to take a little while. The more we can work our way into that, get some of the pass rush stuff, will help us.”

The defensive line features established Pro Bowl defensive ends Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter, as well as Stephen Weatherly, who has continued an impressive progression since his selection in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Ifeadi Odenigbo, Ade Aruna and newcomers Stacy Keely, Anree Saint-Amour and Karter Schult are also likely to get opportunities from the edge.

On the interior, starters Linval Joseph and Shamar Stephen have not practiced, and Jalyn Holmes left practice Saturday. That means the Vikings could get extra looks at Curtis Cothran, Hercules Mata’afa, Tito Odenigbo and Armon Watts, to go along with what they’ve previously seen from Jaleel Johnson.

“We’ll get the pads on today, so that part will start showing itself a little bit,” Zimmer said. “We’re not just playing plays in shorts. I’m interested to see what Hercules can do in team periods today in practice. [Armon] Watts, I’m curious to see what he can do. I have a pretty good idea about Jaleel Johnson. CC – Cothran – I think I have a decent idea on him. I think he’s improved. We’ll just see how it goes.”