Vikings Draft North Carolina Linebacker Chazz Surratt with 78th Overall Pick

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
cyxwcmmbr8xpcaldvs3p

"[Surratt] is a fluid mover, a smooth athlete. … He's got some physicality to him and a little bit of thump, coming downhill. You see him shoot gaps, no matter who it is, and bringing his feet on contact for some good-sized hits," Jeremiah added. "He's got range and athleticism and can really, really run. You see it show up on every tape. The instincts in coverage, you would imagine as a former quarterback, is comfortable and has a good sense of route combinations and jumping routes to go make plays on the ball. He does that. He's also a very good blitzer."

Vikings Director of College Scouting Jamaal Stephenson said the Vikings like Surratt's instincts and athleticism.

"[The switch] just tells you what kind of athlete that Chazz is, because he really only had one spring, the spring before the '19 season, at the linebacker spot," Stephenson said. "And he really was just so productive, and it really just kind of came natural to him. And then he built upon that this season.

"Really, he's an incredible athlete. He's a guy that was recruited by Roy Williams at North Carolina as a basketball player, as well," Stephenson added. "That tells you what kind of athlete we're dealing with."

Stephenson was able to see Surratt live in a game against Notre Dame and described him as a "phenomenal playmaker."

"I believe the first series he made, like, three or four plays in a row," Stephenson said. "He's a great blitzer; you just see the speed, sideline-to-sideline; his instincts, for a guy who's only played linebacker for two years, are unbelievable. We're very excited about him and his upside and what he brings to the Vikings."

Surratt totaled 207 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks and two interceptions in his two seasons on the defensive side of the ball.

Surratt is expected to add to a group of Vikings linebackers that was decimated by injuries in 2020. Anthony Barr, who thrived at linebacker after switching from running back at UCLA, didn't play six full quarters before suffering a torn pectoral muscle. Eric Kendricks missed the final five games of last season after suffering a calf injury during a practice.

Barr and Kendricks are set to return in 2021, and Surratt could be their new running mate in Minnesota's 4-3 base defense, or it could be veteran Nick Vigil, who signed during free agency, or 2020 fourth-round pick Troy Dye.

Asked about Barr and Kendricks, Surratt said, "I know they're really good linebackers in this league, so I'm going to try to learn the most I can from them."

"They've played a while in the league at a high level, so the opportunity to be around that type of guys will be good for me, and I'll just try to soak up as much as I can," he added. "I'll just try to be a sponge, really."

Surratt ran the 40 in 4.59 seconds and the 3-cone drill in 7.04 seconds. His vertical was 31.5 inches.

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 229 pounds on his NFL.com bio, Surratt was ranked as the fifth-best linebacker in the draft by NFL.com's Bucky Brooks and as the fourth-best inside linebacker by ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr.