Vikings Proud of Bridgewater but Relish Chance to Play Against Him

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
etjgxirr5fe7jikceclj

Bridgewater was especially close with Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer, who said in the past that he believed Bridgewater would be his starter for the duration of his coaching career with the Vikings.

“Yeah, I am proud of him, for him to be able to come back from the type of injury that he had and still be playing in the NFL,” Zimmer said Wednesday. “Our statistics, you know when the injury happened, it was a pretty bleak outlook for him, but that’s the kind of kid he is.

“I actually talked to [Saints Head Coach] Sean Payton,” Zimmer continued. “Sean said he’s the same guy, no restrictions, doing well, and Teddy is a competitor. He’ll try and stick it to us just like we’re going stick it to him.”

Bridgewater went 17-11 as a starter in Minnesota, throwing for 6,150 yards with 28 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.

But his impact on the organization was about more than stats, as he was one of the most beloved players in the locker room during his four seasons in Purple. His determination, attitude and demeanor after his injury only intensified that.

“It’s just his personality. I’ll tell you a story. When my dad died, his mom called me,” Zimmer said. “So I was driving in the car, she called to give her condolences, and you know, it’s hard to say thank you and all that [in that situation], so I said, ‘Hey, I just want to tell you how much I appreciate Teddy,’ and she stopped me.