Vikings Will Take 'Strategic' Approach to Building 2020 Roster

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
aipupze1ppulxxz1ccxu

Spielman said the Vikings will be "very strategic" in how they assemble that group of players, too.

"We have to go through where we end up with our final 53 and strategically, how many guys you keep at each position and how many guys you keep on practice squad, in case you do have someone that can't play because they test positive for COVID," Spielman said. "Do you have enough depth potentially on your practice squad?"

Zimmer has joked with reporters in recent years that he doesn't have a crystal ball, even though he was eventually gifted one. But he quipped Monday that the Vikings might have to think longer term than normal when evaluating some younger players.

"Like I told the players and coaches as well, there may be some first-year guys that aren't as good as the second-year guy right now," Zimmer said. "But at some point in time, they're going to pass them by so we have to be able to a little bit predict down the future. We're going to try to put them in as many situations as we can."

The Vikings roster will soon be down to 80 players. By the start of the season, it will be reduced to 53, with 16 more on the practice squad.

With such unique circumstances surrounding training camp this season, Spielman, Zimmer and others will rely on their history together and passion for the game to help build a winner in 2020.

"Rick's a football guy," Zimmer said. "He loves the process of digging out players, understanding schemes, understanding what we're looking for in each particular position.

"Then being able to relay it to the scouts, and then working together with us and the coaches," Zimmer added. "I think the biggest compliment you can give to a general manager is that he's a football guy."

Added Spielman: "I think it's sticking to your principles, sticking to everything that you believe in on how you build a winning culture."