Water Break with Anthony Harris

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
s5i0oi8qoqwanypb0tyh

We caught up with Harris for this week's Water Break presented by Crown Royal to chat about his chemistry with Smith, assuming more of a leadership role and his expectations for the 2020 defense.

Q: How have your viewed your role this year in helping lead the younger DBs?

A: "I've always viewed myself in that leadership role, speaking up and giving direction where I think it's really needed. I'm not really one to speak just because people will listen. But I think this year [with] the pandemic, a young team and then the social justice issues, it's been becoming more of a necessity for me to speak up as an individual who's been in the league a while now. … Coming out undrafted and being unable to physically do anything for the first couple of months [due to injury], I was there and I was in the meetings, but I couldn't actually physically do any of the drills or participate in any of the plays. So this year I was just trying to be there to support them mentally [through the virtual spring programming] – because that's going to be biggest adjustment."

Q: For those who haven't played for Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer previously, what's required to succeed in his defense?

A: "I would say you have to be smart, a quick thinker with being able to process information. You have to be able to tackle in space, and you also have to be able to cover. … You definitely have to be smart. That's one of the first things, for sure."

Q: How far has the communication between you and Harrison come over the past five seasons?

A:"There was a point where I'd be communicating to him a lot just to make sure we were on the same page, and I think for him it was kind of like, 'I know this, I've got it,' and I'm like, 'Cool, we're actually on the same page.' So then it became a little less communication as far as during the play. Now we kind of build that in during the week, just looking at stuff and really being able to communicate and get to an understanding where we're seeing it the same way and we can cover each other."

Q: You guys are friends off the field, too. Do you think your cats, Cookie and Ella, and Harrison's dog, Deuce, would get along?

A: "(Laughing) I don't know how that would go, because one of my cats acts like a dog, so I don't know if there might be an ego/pride thing that will get in the way. I'm not sure how that would work out…"

Q: With so many unknowns at the start of this season, what are your expectations for the 2020 defense?

A: "I think the [key] that I see from a defensive standpoint is not letting up and not really taking a step back. We have to take whatever challenges we've faced … in stride and just step up and be ready to go. [The mindset is] getting better one day at a time, but I think the expectations always remain high."