What to watch: Broncos-Seahawks

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
pordutpncqxksahae3uf

SEATTLE -- Denver's first-team secondary watched from the sideline last Thursday as the Broncos made their preseason debut against the Atlanta Falcons in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game.

In terms of Broncos experience, the most seasoned member of the defensive backfield to play last week was safety Will Parks, who took part in 16 snaps. While Parks played, the Falcons did little -- three punts and a long field-goal attempt that fell short. Atlanta converted just one of its five third-down attempts.

It was just a glimpse of what the defense could do, but it left Parks eager for more -- and giddy about seeing what his teammates could do.

When Parks went to the bench, he approached the longest-tenured member of the secondary, Chris Harris Jr. with a simple message.

"I kept going to the sideline and I was like, 'Chris, when you get in the game, you're going to like this,'" Parks said.

"And I'm not just saying this because it's the first game. We've practiced with it for four or five months, and now we're in camp, and we're doing it, and the offense is giving us different looks, so it's helping us play even better and more attentive in the game."

It's only a rehearsal, but with the first-team defense expected to see some first-quarter work Thursday night, expectations are high. Justin Simmons has made interceptions a regular occurrence in practice. Kareem Jackson had two picks Monday. During the 14 practices to date, more plays have ended in Von Miller and Bradley Chubb reaching the quarterback than one could accurately count.

How the first-team defense looks at game speed is the first thing to watch Thursday night.

What else deserves a look at CenturyLink Field when the Broncos face the Seahawks?