What’d They Say: Shanahan Discusses Connections to Cousins, Kubiak

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rvngbosfaodrl7ixt6yc

Here are other highlights of Shanahan and the 49ers talking about the Vikings this week:

Shanahan on the 49ers and Vikings both having balanced offenses:

“I know that’s my goal, and I’m sure that’s Kubiak’s and [Kevin Stefanski’s] and Zimmer’s goal, also. You always can find the outliers, but I think it’s very hard to win in this league if you’re only good at passing, and I think it’s very hard to win in this league if you’re only good at running. So you’ve gotta be able to do both, and I think that’s something that we’ve both done pretty well this year. That, combined with good defense, is I think why we’re both where we’re at.”

Shanahan on Vikings safeties Harrison Smith & Anthony Harris:

“Well, the scheme they play in is very good. It puts a lot of pressure on them but allows them to make a lot of plays, too. Harrison has been there for a while, and then 41, I did not see him the last time, but he’s come in and been very impressive. I mean, he’s got the ball skills. They both run and hit. They’ve got very sound coverages with linebackers underneath and stuff, so there’s not always a ton of pressure on them. That allows them to run, make plays in the run game by being physical, and it allows them to be ball hawks, too.”

QB Jimmy Garoppolo on ‘scouting report’ of Minnesota:

“They’re a talented group defensively. Very sound. They have their rules, and they stick to their rules. Coach Zimmer does a great job getting them in great plays, and they make it tough on offenses. That D-line, they’re impressive. They’ll get after you. So, it will be a good test for us.”

Garoppolo on memories of 2018 season opener against Vikings:

“They do a good job with their disguise, obviously holding it with the safeties and things like that, but don’t make anything easy. They make you work for everything down the field. There’s really no easy completions, no easy 8-yard run that you’re going to get. We’re going to have to earn everything. We know that going into this.”

DE Nick Bosa on Cousins:

“You’re not going to be able to rush him unless you stop the run, and that’s what we’re focused on.”

Bosa on Vikings RB Dalvin Cook:

“I’ve been watching him since [he was at] Florida State. He’s really good. Not many people could maintain the speed that he maintains through contact. He just makes cuts and never slows down, and he’s physical. They’ve got two of them, so it’s going to be a challenge. We’ve played some good backs but haven’t played him, so we’ve just gotta bring it.”

LT Joe Staley on Vikings defense:

“The Vikings are very, very sound up front. They have a very sound defense. They have a lot of guys that have played in the system and played together for a long time, so they know exactly where each other is going to be. It’s really hard to get them out of position. It really just comes down to doing your techniques and your blocks. They have really talented players up front. Everybody knows Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen have been a great edge-pairing in the NFL for a long time, and they both present unique challenges as far as tackles go. But yeah, all across the board, you look at everybody, and they’re a very sound defense and play well together.”