Who stood out during the Broncos' offseason work?

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ijksq8maitryzwt5gy9h

WR COURTLAND SUTTON

It's important to view Sutton's rookie season in the proper context. While the final four games of the season did not go as he hoped, as the offense languished without Emmanuel Sanders, he still became the 15th rookie receiver since 2010 to finish with at least 40 receptions, 700 yards, four touchdowns and 14.0 yards per reception.

Most of the receivers in that group went on to become among the league's elite pass catchers. Doug Baldwin, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, T.Y. Hilton, Keenan Allen, Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper and JuJu Smith-Schuster represent 10 of the other 14 names in that group.

Sutton showed flashes of brilliance that he could be a No. 1 wide receiver, including a pair of deep receptions from Flacco during minicamp.

"I think he’s gaining confidence," Scangarello said. "I think you combine a good football IQ, good work ethic, a good guy with some talent -- the sky is the limit. We’ll see where he can take it."

DL DEMARCUS WALKER

Playing at the heaviest weight of his career, Walker looked more comfortable than he appeared at any point in the previous two years, generating pressure from the interior and stuffing a slew of runs behind the line of scrimmage throughout OTAs.

The chance to mash the reset button in a new scheme and with a new head coach and defensive coordinator aided Walker, who finds comfort in concepts that he executed in college.

"It's just a whole different system and a whole different type of technique that Coach Fangio has brought to us," Walker said. "This type of technique that I'm playing is something that I played at Florida State."

The upcoming work in full pads will reveal whether Walker can truly step forward, but he is off to a good start.

"I think he’s making progress and ultimately with D-Line and O-Line you have to have the pads on to see," Fangio said during OTAs. "I like where he’s at. I like where he’s at emotionally too. I think he’s in a good spot emotionally. he’s probably matured in the last couple of years and were going to see what he has or doesn’t have here come training camp."