With Permission From Marshall Goldberg's Daughter, J.J. Watt Will Wear No. 99

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
z5s6e9w1yrjpwaiee8ak

Watt plans to thank Ellen in a few different ways. He is going to send a charitable donation to the Marshall Goldberg Fund for Traumatic Brain Injury Research, which was established because Goldberg dealt with the effect of concussions.

Watt also wants to spread awareness about Goldberg's life, which was an incredible one.

Goldberg played eight seasons for the Cardinals beginning in 1939, earning All-Pro honors six times as a defensive back while also playing halfback and returning kicks. He snagged a career-high and NFL-best seven interceptions in 1941 and helped the Cardinals win the 1947 NFL championship.

Goldberg's playing career was interrupted when he joined the Navy in 1943, as he spent two years in the South Pacific during World War II, rising to the rank of lieutenant. He returned to the field in 1946 and played three more years before retiring at the age of 31.

Goldberg then became a businessman in Illinois and eventually became a millionaire after taking over a machine parts company.

"I want to make sure that people know the name, and are aware of Marshall Goldberg and everything he did," Watt said.

Watt has worn No. 99 for the entirety of his NFL career and also wore it during his college days at Wisconsin. The last time he didn't wear the number was back as a freshman tight end at Central Michigan, when he wore No. 82.

Watt said wearing the number will take on a newfound significance with the Cardinals following Goldberg's accomplishments.

"I told (Tullos) I would do everything in my power to honor him and make him proud, and make his legacy proud," Watt said.

Tullos said she has family members who are very familiar with Watt's on-field exploits, but that she has some catching up to do. She plans to look for the No. 99 when the Cardinals take the field in the fall.

"I would imagine I'll be following it a little bit more closely than I have in the past," Tullos said. "My father passed away in 2006, and that was a while ago. Now J.J. is kind of bringing his number back to life."

Continue reading...