With positive mindset, David Bakhtiari attacked offseason rehab head-on

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rqwmxs3ma1b5jjz8gss0

The first 36 hours were the toughest. Injuries happen and the news breaks, but what often gets forgotten is the human being facing months of rehab to get back on the field.

By Jan. 2, Bakhtiari had mentally regrouped. As the Packers readied for a playoff run, Bakhtiari underwent surgery to repair his ACL and centered his focus on a comeback.

A positive perspective enabled Bakhtiari to focus on "the littles" and clearing small hurdles such as putting more weight on his leg, improving his range of motion, and making one cycle on a bike.

"How I looked at it and how I described it to my closest family and friends was I've got this long road I've got to go down," Bakhtiari said. "I don't want to go down it, but I have to. I've got to go down it no matter what. I might as well go with a positive attitude and attack it like I've done with everything in my life."

The support of the Packers fanbase and former teammates also played a big role in Bakhtiari's recovery. Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Jimmy Graham and Bryan Bulaga were among the multitude of former and current Packers who reached out to check in and wish Bakhtiari well in his recovery.

Bulaga, specifically, was a vital resource for Bakhtiari throughout the offseason. Not only had the two developed a close friendship in Green Bay, but Bakhtiari also had seen Bulaga bounce back from two separate ACL injuries and continue to play the game at the highest of levels.

"He's done it twice and he plays the same position I play. Granted, opposite side, but plays at a very high level," Bakhtiari said. "He took any of my calls when I was really curious early on about any little thing and he gave me a lot of good, sound advice and at times, just wanted to console me and calm me down, which I really appreciated. Again, I really can't thank him enough."

Bakhtiari split his offseason between where he typically trains in his home state of California and Green Bay, with the two sides working together to monitor the 29-year-old tackle's recovery.

Asked how confident he was he'd be ready for the start of the season, Bakhtiari deadpanned: "I've got no problem saying I will 100% be ready for the starting of training camp…in 2022."