With Quarterback In Place, Cardinals Have Different Approach

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
ldhbfauswchdk6asopez

Even with a QB, "at the same time there is a tremendous amount of pressure to surround that player with the right type of player," Keim said. "You have to view this as a window in time that you have the opportunity to go out and put pieces of the puzzle around him."

The rookie contract Murray is under gives the Cardinals flexibility, Keim acknowledged, in using available dollars in other spots. Murray also serves as a draw for prospective free agents, knowing his arrow is pointed up in a league that craves certainty at the position.

Having a quarterback also will help on draft day. Keim said the Cardinals are certainly open to trading back in the first round and pick up draft capital, much easier to do when you aren't chasing a quarterback. It also puts the Cards in a good position if there is a third quarterback, beyond Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa, for whom teams might want to trade up.

The quarterback knowing he is the guy – and the confidence that comes with – filters through the team as well.

"The natural growth of seeing the field for me and getting game reps against some of the best defenses in the league helped me out tremendously," Murray said. "Coming back next year, I plan on having a good season, to say the least."

Murray isn't a finished product, something both he and Kingsbury readily admit. Kingsbury said he wants Murray to improve on working through his progressions, getting even more comfortable in the pocket and within the system.

The Cardinals are asking that of a player for whom they have limitless optimism. That's new.

"I expect him to make a big jump this season," Kingsbury said. "His skillset is through the roof. We just have to work hard to get better."

Continue reading...