WON Monthly Magazine February 2021

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
kmzwnhv4pnukqbongr0q

Faithful Since…​

I have been a 49ers fan for as long as I can remember! When I say fan for life, there is even a picture of my parent's baby shower for me and they were gifted my first 49ers outfit. My grandfather used to have season tickets at Candlestick Park and he taught the game to my dad who then passed that fandom down to me. It's been a special bond between our family and specifically with my dad and me. We know that we can always get together when there is 49ers football on and even when we aren't together, we have constantly text each other throughout the game.

What do you love about WON?​

I think it highlights that women can and do enjoy football just as much as men and we often are just as knowledgeable as everyone else. As a matter of fact, most of the 49ers fans that I know are actually women. To me, it's very empowering that the organization not only recognizes this part of the fan base, but creates unique opportunities for women to express their fandom and feel appreciated.

Was there one inspirational moment in team history that confirmed your 49ers fandom?​

After spending a full season watching games away from Levi's® Stadium I have such an appreciation for the 2019 season and how fun and magical it truly was. But I think that the most inspirational moments have come from the more down seasons, actually. When they haven't had the best records, I have never seen this team or players ever "mail-it-in." They play for themselves, the team, and the fan base. It's that mentality that inspires me and keeps the Faithful so loyal year over year.