You've Got Mail: Patriots Week

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
itmb0in4tub9veqfamau

"Hi Darren, I want to talk about a very big problem I see. And it's been all year, even in our wins. The wide receivers aren't getting open. And it isn't their fault, it's the play call. I don't expect you to watch film, but on our first drive vs Seattle, we had a play where our 3 WRs all ran out about 7 yards, then turned around and just stood there facing Murray. It's a called a curl/comeback route. We ran that play back in high school. We were (and still are) unathletic bums. Why on earth is that play even in an NFL playbook? What is the average depth of a Murray throw? Three yards? Kliff has THE LEAST explosive offense in the NFL. You aren't a play caller. So I ask you, as a journalist, do you or your compatriots ever ask Kliff about his stagnant offense. Not 'Why is it bad.' The question should be 'why do you choose the plays you choose?' when they clearly aren't working. A complete rebuild of the playbook may be in order."

Well, Rich, I gotta agree to disagree here. There are plenty of times receivers have been open. I'm not going to document it all, but to go with that hyperbole is IMO disingenuous. The 'curl' play -- and I have covered the NFL for more than 20 years, so yeah, I know what a curl is -- that you referenced looked like it was against a zone, so I am guessing (without talking to anyone) that the idea is that you sit down in the zone's open spot, and we can talk about whether Murray should've thrown quick to DeAndre Hopkins and taken the five yards. Murray averages 6.95 yards per pass attempt, which is 16th in the NFL -- so right in the middle of the pack, and better than Brady, Newton, Stafford, Brees, Jackson and Roethlisberger.

I'm not going to say there aren't times when I would think Kliff Kingsbury should have gone in a different direction with a playcall. He isn't perfect. But it's hard for me to fathom a call to rebuild a playbook that currently generates 414 yards a game (best in the NFL) and 28.7 points a game (seventh in the NFL.)

From Robert Malicki via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...