You've Got Mail: Prepping For The Draft

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
merlcm27j2qezetbipsd

"As always, thanks for the opportunity for fans to inquire and/or complain. I dig what you do, and I'm especially fond of your use of dry sarcasm. Two questions, one of which could also be considered a complaint. One, in 2018, the top QB salary was $26.5 million, or 14% of the cap that year. In 2021, the top QB salary (as of now) will be $37.2 million, or 20% of the cap. Obviously part of the percentage increase is due to the lower cap, but how do you foresee this playing out in the future? It's worth noting that in just five years, the top QB salary went from $26.5 million (2018) to $46.7 million (2023, for now), so maybe this question answers itself. Also, with the 17th game, it feels like the simplest way to handle it would've been to make the 17th game an international game, giving the league 16 total international games while allowing teams to still have all eight home games. An argument could be made about logistics, but an argument could also be made that current logistics for the 17th game are completely arbitrary anyway. Would this be a feasible arrangement?"

1) In terms of QB salaries, I think the percentage of the cap might go down a tad, but the actual dollars are going to continue to go up for the main guys (or players will go Dak and use the franchise tag if their teams don't pay up.) It's the cost of doing business. For instance, Kyler's next deal is going to be ... pricey. And it'll be more expensive the longer the Cards wait, because there will inevitably be more deals in-between now and whenever it happens.

2) As for the 17th game, you need to have a place for all those international games -- and it's possible that, down the road, that's exactly what will happen with No. 17.

From Max Lloyd via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...