Za'Darius and Preston Smith have targets in mind

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rbalmleicgei444t9lls

"He said, 'I can see it this year coming, to where we're going to have a ton of sack fumbles and forced fumbles.' So I can't wait, man, because Coach is speaking it into existence."

What also remains to be seen is the workload the Smiths carry in 2020. Each played nearly 1,000 snaps last season, rarely coming off the field, and Pettine suggested in the spring he'd like to decrease that to keep them fresher over the long haul.

While both players said they'd welcome the same amount of work again, there's an eagerness to see what last year's first-round draft pick at their position, Rashan Gary, might do with an increased role.

Gary is the clear No. 3 outside linebacker now with the departure of Kyler Fackrell in free agency. If he can prove to be as effective as the coaches anticipate, it will free up not only the Smiths to take some breathers but also Pettine to get even more creative.

"Coming from college and being a first(-round) player and learning behind me and 'Z', he learned a lot," Preston said of Gary, who posted two sacks and 19 QB pressures in 244 snaps as a rookie. "He has a lot of athletic ability. He can always be plugged in anywhere and play a lot of multiple positions, just like me and 'Z.'"

Time will tell what it'll all mean when the games start. In any event, the Smiths have given themselves a tough act to follow, but they aren't resting on their inaugural breakout year in Green Bay.

"I always want to get better at something," Preston said.

Added Za'Darius: "I'm prepared and ready to do it again, man. I'm built Ford tough, I can tell you that much."