Za'Darius Smith's three sacks power Packers' defense in win over Falcons

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
r7fr42wtff9kmguskoct

GREEN BAY – Za'Darius Smith has had no problem picking up where he left off a year ago.

The Packers' Pro Bowl linebacker continued to be a wrecking ball on the defensive front in Monday night's 30-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons, leading the defense with eight tackles (four for loss), five quarterback hits and three sacks.

It wasn't until the dust had settled, and Head Coach Matt LaFleur awarded Smith a game ball, that the sixth-year pass rusher realized how impactful he'd been against Atlanta.

"(LaFleur) called the stats – I forgot the stats but it was something crazy. I'm talking about on a video game," said Smith, whose five sacks are tied for the most in the NFL through the first four weeks.

"I didn't even know I had done that much but, you know, it's big, man, to be able to get this because he challenged me earlier this week to bring my all in this game."

All three of Smith's sacks Monday stymied the Falcons, beginning with him dropping Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan for an 8-yard loss at the end of the first half. Atlanta cut its losses after the play, opting to go into halftime down 20-3.

Looking to shut the door on the Falcons in the fourth quarter, Smith dropped Ryan again for a 4-yard loss on third-and-6 and then recorded another sack for a loss of 13 yards on first down during what turned out to be Atlanta's final series of the game.

While Green Bay's defense didn't force any turnovers, it had arguably its best showing to date in holding the Falcons to only 78 rushing yards (3.1 yards per attempt) on 25 carries. Safety Adrian Amos also broke up a would-be touchdown to Calvin Ridley late to help seal the win.

"The guys on the back end, it's hand in hand," Smith said. "We're trying to get after the quarterback, it comes with coverage. When we're rattling the quarterback, it comes with picks. We all play as one, man, to try to be dominant in the pass game."

If the game ball wasn't enough, Smith said he also received a phone call after the game from rapper (and Packers fan) Lil Wayne, who asked him to relay a message to Aaron Rodgers following his own four-touchdown day against the Falcons.

"He said, 'Man, whatever Aaron Rodgers is doing, tell him to keep doing it because that man is on fire!'" Smith said.